Chartreuse Ova

scrambled lamentations, psalms, parables and ramblings of a Christian mommy

Monday, April 30, 2007

Opposing God's Will

I promised to keep a positive outlook. It doesn't seem to be working today.

I was looking for an article about melamine in the human food supply, but came across this totally unrelated article.

El Sobrante, Calif. - Parents who belong to the Bethel Baptist Church in El Sobrante are told in no uncertain terms: Spank your children or oppose God's will.

The church, which also runs the 200-student Bethel Christian Academy, discourages parents from using their hands and recommends using a "rod" or flexible stick to swat children until their will is broken. But an eight-panel church pamphlet with corporal punishment instructions does caution against using instruments such as hairbrushes, cords or 2-by-4s.
So now I not only worry about toxic substances that my child and dog may have ingested, but it has been confirmed that I oppose God's will. Not surprising. It seems I already "oppose" God's will when it comes to my stance on war, oppression of others, women's roles, and most political issues.

On a positive note, my doggie boy is loving his home cooked food and strong-willed Little Sprout is busy researching weather forecasting. The sun is shining and we are planning a healthy lunch outside on the deck.

As for me and God, we are getting along just fine...despite my "opposition".

1 Comments:

Blogger Iris said...

There is great article in the latest Christian Century entitled "Christian Child Abuse" that talks about this very thing. Clearly, these folks have a different God than I do.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home