Chartreuse Ova

scrambled lamentations, psalms, parables and ramblings of a Christian mommy

Friday, January 05, 2007

Happy Birthday

to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday reverendmother. Happy Birthday to you.

It's RevGalBlogPals Friday Five time again and reverendmother had a birthday this week, inspiring the following questions:

1. "It's my party and I'll [blank] if I want to..."
Favorite way to celebrate your birthday (dinner with family? party with friends? a day in solitude?)

It's my party and I'll LUNCH if I want to...usually Chinese buffet and only with Little Sprout and Usually Darling Hubby (and he usually is on my birthday).

2. "You say it's your birthday... it's my birthday too, yeah..."
Do you share your birthday with someone famous? (Click here to find out!)

Tracy Nelson, Helen Reddy, Bobby Knight, Billy Barty, Minnie Pearl, Pablo Picasso, Georges Bizet all share my birthday. I share more with Minnie Pearl and Bobby Knight.

3. "Lordy Lordy look who's forty..."
Milestone birthdays:
a) just like any other birthday--they're just numbers, people.
b) a good opportunity to look back/take stock
c) enjoy the black balloons--I'll be hiding under a pile of coats until the day is over
d) some combination of the above, or something else entirely.

Forty was divine, but 25 was tough when I realized I was a quarter of a century old and hadn't done "anything" with my life. Not sure how I'll feel about a half century.

4. "Happy birthday, dear... Customer..."
Have you ever been sung to in a restaurant? Fun or cringe-worthy?

No, never that I remember, but it would have been traumatic so I may just have blocked the memory. I guess I do need to be prepared for this at some point, but Little Sprout is still too shy to instigate something like this.

5. "Take my birthday--please"
Tell me one advantage and one disadvantage about your particular birthday (e.g. birthday in the summer--never had to go to school; birthday near Christmas--the dreaded joint presents)
EDITED TO ADD: This could also simply be something you like/dislike about your birthday (e.g. I like sharing a birthday with my best friend, etc.).

The best thing about it is that I remember it. Seriously. Even after celebrating 14 of Usually Darling Hubby's birthdays, I have been known to say it was 2 days later or the correct day, but 2 months earlier. Even as I write this, there is a battle going on in my brain. 12th? 14th? I think it's the 12th. I'm sure it is the 12th. His college buddy's is the 13th ( I remember that?), it must be the 12th. Or was it after, so the 14th? My aunt...oh yeah that's right it's the same as my aunt's. It's the 12th. I'm sure it's the 12th.

But I always remember mine, even if I have to think really hard when asked my age.

On a related note, we are celebrating Mickey Mouse Day in our house today. According to Little Sprout he gets lots of presents (and she has wrapped many surprises in colorful Sunday comics) but unlike birthdays he doesn't get any older. What a concept! I'm thinking of skipping my next birthday and celebrating Chartreuseova Day instead.

8 Comments:

Blogger leah said...

Fun - and revealing - play! I was not sure what to think about 25, but I loved 30, and was dumb enough or whatever enough to announce "Now I can begin my memoirs!" These way post-30 days, I'm far too involved in other things to imagine such an inward-gazing pursuit, but it probably would benefit me (if no one else).

11:13 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Love it. Have a very happy Mickey Mouse Day!

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mickey Mouse day sounds like a lot of fun!

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I share more with Minnie Pearl and Bobby Knight."

REALLY??? Didn't I hear you singing "I am Woman, Hear me Roar???" LOL...

How much fun - :)
deb

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had trouble with 25, too! No other birthday has bothered me... yet!

Now, I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of someone having things in common with Minnie AND Bobby Knight. Do you say, "Howdeeeee!!!" before you headbutt someone?

12:53 PM  
Blogger reverendmother said...

I have a hard time remembering hubby's as well.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a hard time remembering hubby's birthday, but I always get mixed up on the day of our anniversary and the year!

4:53 PM  
Blogger more cows than people said...

funny... my hubby's birthday is on the 12th of March, but a significant prior relationships, his birthday was the 14th of march. i've never gotten them confused, but i could, i could...

now my birthday is on the 2nd of september, his sister's wedding anniversary is the 4th of september. he does get confused. he does. he does.

thanks for a laugh.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home