Chartreuse Ova

scrambled lamentations, psalms, parables and ramblings of a Christian mommy

Friday, December 08, 2006

Fa-la-la-la-la, La Friday Five

The RevGals' Friday Five is all about Christmas music.

1. A favorite 'secular' Christmas song.

"Rockin around the Christmas Tree". I also like "Do They Know It's Christmas". Obviously, they evoke different emotions.

2. Christmas song that chokes you up (maybe even in spite of yourself--the cheesier the better)

I always have one long answer. This is the one this week.

"I'll be home for Christmas". No cheese, just tears. Good tears.

My grandma's second husband spent the month before Christmas in the hospital. There were assurances that he'd be home with us for Christmas and then when that didn't happen, that he'd be discharged by New Years. He never came home. He died a few days after Christmas and his funeral was in the afternoon of New Years Eve . I heard the song with Grandma the next Christmas and she said she never wanted to hear it again, that it was just too cruel. I remember she was very upset...more angry than sad. I didn't understand immediately...when I did, it made the song suddenly very sad. Perhaps it is ironic that a few years later. she went Home...as Christmas Day was dawning. Despite missing her, the thought of her being Home for Christmas after a long, difficult journey has always been comforting. It's been a long time, but the song still chokes me up and often brings tears...and a soft smile as I picture her celebrating.

3. Christmas song that makes you want to stuff your ears with chestnuts roasted on an open fire.

I have a few. If shoes, reindeer killing grandmas, and chipmunks are involved; they're on my DO NOT PLAY list.

4. The Twelve Days of Christmas: is there *any* redeeming value to that song? Discuss.
It is fun song. However, I don't understand why the maids are stuck with the milking while the lords get to leap and the ladies are dancing.

5. A favorite Christmas album
I don't think I have one. We tend to listen to much of our Christmas music on the radio, so I enjoy specific songs rather than a whole album.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the story about your grandmother. I think you and I may hate the same songs!

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the lords were leaping because they knew they'd have fresh milk soon!

3:01 PM  
Blogger zorra said...

Thanks for your story. I had always thought "I'll Be Home for Christmas" was kind of corny, but this certainly changes my perspective.

10:29 PM  
Blogger DogBlogger said...

Yes, thanks for sharing your grandma story. (and for visiting and commenting on my blog!

10:41 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Wanted to let you know you won the caption contest.

Thanks for playing.

May the true spirit and gift of Christmas continue throughout this year.

And, may the kids always play nice at the park.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home