Chartreuse Ova

scrambled lamentations, psalms, parables and ramblings of a Christian mommy

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Asking and Receiving

So she (Little Sprout) found the hidden turkey.

Yeah, we do tend toward vegetarian meals, but this was an elusive paper turkey that had survived Thanksgiving by hiding out in the local library. Kids spotting the happy turkey would receive a small prize.

You have to report to the reference librarian and tell her where you spied Tom. That's when the problem started.

"No, you do it." was the demand.

" You saw the turkey. You want the prize, you need to tell the librarian. Mommy didn't find it and Mommy doesn't really want the prize. But I'll go to the desk with you."

The discussion ended badly and we left the library.

She is angry. I'm a mean mommy, even though she didn't say it out loud. I'm sure if she had more colorful vocabulary I would be something else.

She didn't get what she wanted and what she knew the librarian would have loved to give her, simply because she wasn't willing to ask. And to ask nicely.

Why am I blogging about this? Because it's more than the story of a wayward turkey, a stubborn little girl, and the mean mommy.

I got the message Lord.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

A lesson we all can use...

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A great lesson that I get almost every day! My four year old is into this kick where he ignores what you tell him to look at. For example, "Hey Will, Look at that big dog over there!". Instead of looking, he'll simply look at his shoes until we drive past it, then he will complain that he didn't see it and want me to take him back.... Oh well, why am i blogging about this??? Because you wrote a great post!

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home