Chartreuse Ova

scrambled lamentations, psalms, parables and ramblings of a Christian mommy

Friday, August 25, 2006

Back to School Friday Five

Thanks to the RevGalBlogPals.

1. What is your earliest memory of school?

I remember going to my first grade teacher's house at about 8 o'clock in the evening. We had just received our first quarterly report card. My parents were impressed by my grades, but I was inconsolable. My grades were fine, the comments were fine...but it showed under attendance that I'd been absent once! I was so upset, my mother finally called Mrs. G. at home. Mrs. G. asked her to bring me over to her house so she could correct it immediately. I learned a great deal that year that I still use today. I learned to read. I learned to always check your report card, grocery receipt, and credit report for errors. I learned that teachers and other experts are not infallible. And of course I learned that it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil.

2. Who was a favorite teacher in your early education?

My second grade teacher, Mrs. Dixon. She was a patient, soft-spoken, genteel lady and quite different from my first grade teacher.

I wanted to grow up to be just like Mrs. D. Well I didn't. I'm often more like the brusque, Mrs. G.

3. What do you remember about school “back then” that is different from what you know about schools now?

We didn't have to worry about back injuries from carrying backpacks that weighed more than we did.

Then, there was noble, but tiny planet Pluto.

4. Did you have to memorize in school? If so, share a poem or song you learned.

I think we did memorize a few poems. But I don't remember any of the early stuff. I remember learning some mnemonics.

And in high school, I vaguely recall something about Macbeth creeping,life, candles, and fools...but nothing significant. Well, it was something like that!

5. Did you ever get in trouble at school? Were there any embarrassing moments you can share?

In first grade, one little boy kept talking to me during class. No, I wasn't that popular. He just liked to talk to me because we lived just across the road from each other. The infamous Mrs. G. mentioned earlier, decided that the appropriate punishment would be to make us share a desk for the rest of the day.

Other than that, I never, never, ever got into trouble.

Of course, there was the Honor Society Christmas thing. But hey we were just spreading joy throughout the community. Who knew a police officer would spot our Santa Claus waving from the back of the truck. One would think that honor society students would be smart enough a) to not drive past the police station with Santa and b) to find our way back to school after a community service project without getting sidetracked by Christmas elves & mischief. At least we were smart enough to have the principal's daughter with us.

One last thought regarding Questions 3 and 4:
My Very Effervescent Munchkin Joyously Studies Unclean Newts.

3 Comments:

Blogger Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

What a nice teacher to have your mom bring you over and take care of it then!

And I totally understand about Pluto. That is like saying we are no longer going to consider George Washington our first president.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like your mnemonic, but I must say I regret the loss of Pluto.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Laughed reading your post. and you are right about checking things. It helps.

the Honor society thing eh?

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home