Chartreuse Ova

scrambled lamentations, psalms, parables and ramblings of a Christian mommy

Saturday, August 04, 2007

What I Wish I Could Say

This is our last week at the community church we are leaving. I hate good-byes but we agreed to attend this week for an official announcement of our departure. What follows is what I wish I could say to the friends we love and leave. But I won't.

It all started with a compass, a map, and a telephone book.

You know the little tool with the pencil that makes circles. I used it to locate all the churches within an area around our house. It was, in one sense, that low tech and spiritually lacking. But God was the one who started the process by calling out to me to find a church for our family. And the map project was enhanced by many hours of discerning prayer over a period of weeks.

As I prayed, I felt led to a little church that I hadn't even known existed for most of the time we had lived in our house. A church community different than any I had ever worshiped with before. I showed up the next Sunday. It was late August and when welcomed I think I blurted out, "God sent me here today." No one seemed shocked by that statement.

God sent me and then I dragged Usually Darling Hubby the next week. Little Sprout came more willingly. And within weeks we had discovered a family church. We thought we'd put down roots and grow here always. And we have grown.

It was through Bible study and an emphasis on prayer and talking about my faith with others that I was challenged with big questions. What do I really believe? What am I to do with this faith? How am I to serve God and the people of God? Where and what does that look like? It was the support and prayers of many of you that helped me look at the questions and dig deeply for the answers. And struggle with the answers as they came. I know God always answers prayers and lights the way if we follow closely.

Sometimes it's easy to see the path and to follow. Sometimes it's so difficult we can only manage to take a single trusting, tentative step forward.

It is one of those steps that I, and we as a family, must take today. It is painful to leave behind people we have grown to love. I am so thankful the people of "That's the Point" Church have been a part of my family's life and the gifts you have given us will continue to touch us. We leave you in love and with our prayers for many blessings.

I have said on occasion that I know God is speaking and the Holy Spirit is leading when the only word I can use is "compelled". Compelled. For me, it means there is no peace until there is obedience. And in obedience there comes peace and often joy.

Almost 5 years ago God sent me here. I was compelled and I obeyed. Today I am feeling compelled and I must continue to obey.

I'd like to end with some profound thought, perhaps a Bible verse, or a call to action but I all I need to say is...

Peace be with you.

5 Comments:

Blogger Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

And also with you.

Amen

12:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Blessings on you and your transition!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

intriguing...I'm sure your church will grieve...
but God has surely led you.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Thank you for the Aniversary wish! We forgot ourselves until the day was half over! It has been the best 11 years of our lives!

God bless you as he opens new doors.

Cat.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

((((((((((((C.O.))))))))))))

Compelled. Interesing--I know that feeling.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home